Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Halloween Eyeball Brownies

I really like cooking for different themes. I was staying with friends in Chicago over Halloween and I wanted to thank them for their kind hospitality for extending my stay as I was there while NYC braved Hurricane Sandy.

This brownies are very simple (see below) and my all-time favorite.  I baked the brownie in a standard 9x13 in pan and then I used a cup to cut out the perfect circles. I covered the brownie with whipped cream in which I had added a few crushed raspberries.  To make the brownie look like an eyeball, I did the following:

Take a handful of fresh raspberries and crush them. Put in a small saucepan and cook over med heat until the juice is reduce and the sauce has more of a syrupy consistency. Add a little sugar, to taste, and a little squeeze of a fresh lemon and a bit of lemon zest, this will add to the brightness of the sauce. Strain to remove the seeds.  Use a spoon and make the 'bloodshot' eyeball.

For the pupil, place a chocolate chip in a raspberry and use this as the center. It was a really fun dessert to serve and was extremely tasty.





Ultimate Double chocolate brownies

¾ c. baking cocoa
½ tsp baking soda
2/3 c. butter or margarine, melted, divided
½ c. boiling water
2 c. sugar
2 eggs
1 1/3 c. all-purpose flour
1 tsp. vanilla extract
¼ tsp. salt
½ c. coarsely chopped pecans (optional)
2 cups (12 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chunks

In a large bowl, combine cocoa and baking soda; blend in 1/3 c. melted butter. Add boiling water; stir until well blended. Stir in sugar, eggs, and remaining buter. Add flour, vanilla, and salt. Stir in the pecans and chocolate chunks. Pour into a greased 13 x 9 inch baking pan. Bake at 350oF for 35-40 minutes or until brownies begin to pull away from the sides of pan. Cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment